Preparing for Worship
“Wherever two or more are gathered in my name,” Jesus said, “there am I in the midst of them.” Whether you’re gathered around the breakfast table with your family, sitting in your favorite recliner, or taking a walk outside, we assemble Jesus’ name bearing witness to the Church’s identity and mission as Christ’s body in the world.
Today we celebrate the Baptism of Christ. The first Sunday after the Epiphany is all about beginnings. In Genesis we read from the creation poem. In the beginning, a wind from God swept over the waters, the formless void, and God called forth light. Wind, in Hebrew, is the same word as spirit and breath: ruach. God saw that it was good, and separated the light from the darkness, and the first day was created. In Mark’s gospel, we read of the beginning of Christ’s ministry—which starts with his baptism by John. It is a defining moment for creation, and for us, as the heavens are torn open and the Holy Spirit, the wind from Genesis, enters into Jesus. Jesus is infused with the Spirit from God. A new reality has come into the world, transforming all things, including the seen (the heavens and a dove) and the unseen (a voice). Through Jesus’ baptism, the Church is born and his faith washes over Earth through the baptized. By his baptism in the waters of the earth, the faith of Jesus made all creation sacred. We remember baptism as a sign of our “original name” (Thomas Merton) in the midst of challenging experiences that fill us with fear and doubt. Baptism reminds us that if God is for us, who can be against us?
Please click on the image to the left, for your copy of the January 17 bulletin.
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 551 983 428
If you do not wish to participate with video on Zoom, you can call in using the following number:
Enter Meeting ID: #551983428
Here are some things you need to know for the week of January 17, 2021:
- The church office will be open Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday from 8 a.m. until 1 p.m. That said, you may call or email at any time, because I’ll be checking for messages regularly. Someone will respond as soon as possible.
- Tuesday, January 12, Tea at 2 p.m. on ZOOM. Join Zoom Meeting https://zoom.us/j/667372055?pwd=U2l6RUp1ODFjQXc3N0ZvSGx2UEtvUT09. Meeting ID: 667 372 055 Password: 094684Call: 1-312-626-6799, enter Meeting ID: #667372055.
- If you need a new book of offering envelopes, let me know. They are available to pick up during office hours, or we are happy to mail to you, if you prefer.
- For those of you who counted your Advent Blessings, please remember to mail or drop off your offerings to the church office no later than, Friday, January 15. Thank you!
- Adam will be starting a new book study, What is the Bible? by Rob Bell, when Kirk Night Resumes Wednesday, January 27. Books are available in the church office for $10.